Sunday, March 30, 2008

Project...

My project: I might start with the online article from C/C, which argues that access is no longer an issue: I beg to differ, with a cliche. Yes, there are those M students, but as Green points out, they probably don't know how to even use the basics of Word (like my own son). So we assume the techies are literate: rather like in my border days when I thought good speakers could read (ouch!!).

I don't disagree that some students want things texted to them and we as instructors can make use of technology. The problem is however that 20% of my cc students do not have Internet or a computer at home: yes, they may have a Myspace page but don't nec. have a computer at home. Consequently, access is an issue--still.

Moran pointed out in 1997 the importance of the A word. Well, still a problem and for adjuncts as well.

Thus the college lab is very important. One assignment I would like to make required is the blog: students create an online journal or weblog (thus blog) and write 200 words a week. The problem: students don't all have access to a computer let alone the Internet at home. The lab or library can be crowded. Some local libraries do not even have a good connection to the Net.

So I want to bring in Brint but also my interviews with people who work at the extensions and in the labs.

No comments: